Attorney Harold Cogdell, Jr. is a native of Kinston, North Carolina and attended North Carolina A&T State University and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. He earned his Juris Doctor degree from the North Carolina Central University School of Law in 1996.
Mr. Cogdell started his legal career as an Assistant District Attorney with the Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s Office. He began a private practice in 1998 and since that time has represented thousands of clients in State and Federal Court before judges and juries. In addition, Mr. Cogdell has served two terms as a Mecklenburg County Commissioner (Chairman 2011-2012, Vice-Chairman 2008-2011) and one term as a Charlotte City Councilmember (2001-2003).
Mr. Cogdell has also served on the Board of Directors for the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce, as Chairman of the Board of Commissioners for the Charlotte Housing Authority, and as Chairman of the Board of Directors for Horizon Development Properties, Inc.
Mr. Cogdell’s areas of concentration are civil litigation, employment law, non- and for-profit corporate governance and commercial real estate transactions.
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Bachelor of Science, 1991
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1996
- North Carolina, 1997
- United States District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 1997
- United States District Court, Middle District of North Carolina, 2006
- United States District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina, 2007
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2002
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers – North Carolina (2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017)
- Charlotte Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Stratford-Richardson YMCA, Board of Directors
- N.C. Association of Black Lawyers, Board of Directors
- Friendship Missionary Baptist Church, Member
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Member
- 100 Black Men of Greater Charlotte, Ambassador Level Member
The Banks Law Firm, P.A.
525 North Tryon Street, Suite 1600
Charlotte, NC 28202
Phone: (704) 247-5481